Register
FaceBook Twitter

[CLOSED] Panda blocking website but I don't have Panda installed...

Container for RESOLVED incidents, queries SOLVED by the experts, EXPIRED topics or those that have been CLOSED by the users.

[CLOSED] Panda blocking website but I don't have Panda installed...

Postby crmccar » Fri, 26 Oct 2012, 18:09

I have a very confusing issue. Every once in a while, Reddit.com would stop working correctly for me - none of the javascript was function, and the site heavily relies on javascript. Clearing the cache and cookies did nothing, the only thing that seemed to fix it sometimes was restarting my computer.

After this issue popped up several times within a couple days, I started investigating. I found that the javascript file from redditstatic.com was not being loaded correctly. So I grabbed the URL and put it directly into a browser window, and this is what I got: http://download.cloudantivirus.com/eng/malicious/?id=antiphishing-vmninternethelper1_1dn&url=www.redditstatic.com/reddit.en.8nzzwlf-4ko.js

After a fair amount of searching online, I finally figured out I had something called "Anti-phishing domain advisor" on my computer, publisher "Visicom Media (Powered by Panda)". I uninstalled it, and it's fixed now, but how did that software get on my computer? I had never even heard of Panda or Visicom. My best guess is that it was bundled with some video conversion software I was trying out, but I can't know for sure.

Panda seems to be a reputable company - not one I would expect to sneakily install software on my computer, or associate with a company that does.

Official moderator

Re: Panda blocking website but I don't have Panda installed...

Postby VirusBuster » Tue, 30 Oct 2012, 12:49

Anti-phishing domain advisor can be downloaded from http://software.visicommedia.com/en/pro ... iphishing/
Either you installed it or it came included with any other software which should have asked whether you agree or not to install it

This software is not distributed by Panda, however, Visicom uses our detection engine.
If any page is wrongly detected, you can submit it to urls@pandasecurity.com as a false positive so that the detection is disabled
Regards,

Jorge Torre
TechSupport Department, Panda Security
Retail & Malware Team
I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them

Official moderator

Re: Panda blocking website but I don't have Panda installed...

Postby VirusBuster » Tue, 06 Nov 2012, 12:39

Closed due to lack of response
TOPIC CLOSED
Regards,

Jorge Torre
TechSupport Department, Panda Security
Retail & Malware Team
I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them

Return to Consumer 2013 - Archive Issues