PSANHost.exe crashing after latest update

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
sagor

PSANHost.exe crashing after latest update

Post by sagor »

Again, Panda is causing problems with the latest update. Vista 64 bit, getting crash of PSANHost.exe every 10 minutes or so.
Seems Panda has problems keeping these types of bugs out of their code.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: PSANHost.exe
Application Version: 4.0.2.0
Application Timestamp: 58a00964
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: e8508445
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Seems to be some form of DEP (Data Execution Protection) violation. That would indicate "bad" code.

UPDATE:
Seems to be less frequent now (next day). Perhaps a couple times it crashes in the evening.

Update2: Just happened again, on closing the crash notification, Windows says it prevented a DEP. Same DEP error as yesterday. Panda should NEVER be doing any DEP!!
sagor

Re: PSANHost.exe crashing after latest update

Post by sagor »

Bump. Is no one else getting DEP errors? All started with update to 18.01.00
Vista 64 bit
Panda AV keeps doing this. If no fix in near future, time to drop Panda because their code is doing something it should not be doing.
UNI

Post by UNI »

sagor wrote:...Is no one else getting DEP errors?...
I see the same DEP issue on a Vista 32bit OS.

The issue started in early June after the Panda AV app updated.
Nick Eaton

Post by Nick Eaton »

I have the same (or similar) problem. After the recent update on June 17, PSANhost.exe is crashing, several times a day. Just before it crashes, the system hangs for about a minute, consistent with going compute-bound, but I'm not fast enough to catch it in Task Manager

I am running Windows XP SP3, 32-bit.

The System event viewer has many instances of "The Panda Protection Service service terminated unexpectedly."

The Application event viewer reports:

Faulting application PSANHost.exe, version 4.0.2.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0xfffffffd.

Faulting application PSANHost.exe, version 4.0.2.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0b635239.

Faulting application PSANHost.exe, version 4.0.2.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x03362bd1.

and many other addresses.

And a sprinkling of

Faulting application PSANHost.exe, version 4.0.2.0, faulting module PSANModRep.dll, version 4.0.2.0, fault address 0x0002e04c.

I've started to save mini-dumps, if anyone wants them.
RexVJohnsonII

Post by RexVJohnsonII »

Ever since I installed the latest version of Panda, I too am getting lots of PSANHost errors as well as other Host errors. Has anyone figure out the problem and how to solve it?
Thanks.
sagor

Post by sagor »

Well, over 3 weeks since I posted the problem, and it is still happening. No response from Panda. In fact, I've seen no responses to any item posted in the "Panda Free" forums for some time.
I guess the hint/clue to all of us is the number of views per problem/post. My problem has almost 300 views, others in the 100 to 200 range. But, the "How to uninstall Panda" has over 13,000 views. I guess that tells us something, now doesn't it...
I liked Panda, it did a good job, no annoying pop-ups, not too much other "spam" from them. But, I guess there is a price to pay, no support! Not even any acknowledgment there is a problem. I guess time to read the most popular post, by Panda, on "How to uninstall Panda".
I will check back once in a while, but otherwise, I'm done with Panda and I will tell all those I deal with as to why. I've been in the IT field over 35 years, seen a few worse than Panda's support, but not many...
UNI

Post by UNI »

I wonder if the paid version has this issue. I don't know anyone that is willing to pay for this AV app. Perhaps crappy service is why.

Free versions are usually looked at as advertisements for the paid version. This free version screams, "run away! run away!"

Free versions of apps use free labor (us) to find/fix issues before making changes to the paid version. It looks like Panda does not operate that way.

:-(
sagor

Post by sagor »

Well, crashing service is back, but this time PSUAService, as of May 1/2018.
Same machine, same setup. Problem went away last fall with PSANHost, so I went back to Panda. Now, problem is back with a new flavor.

Cannot Panda test their software before releasing updates???
andavari

Post by andavari »

Specifications:
* AV: Panda Dome (Panda Free Antivirus) v18.04

Bug Report:
The Event Viewer started logging crash errors for Panda Protection Service ("PSANHost.exe") on 23 April 2018, at 5:55 PM Central Standard Time in the U.S.

I initially didn't know anything was wrong until Windows just completely froze/locked a few days ago for several minutes, only then did I discover what the Event Viewer had been logging for nearly a week.

Like already mentioned in a related topic which is instead about a different service called Panda Product Service ("PSUAService.exe") located at (http://support.pandasecurity.com/forum/ ... =83&t=6801) however this one I'm reporting is about Panda Protection Service ("PSANHost.exe") which is also consistently crashing and being restarted every 10 minutes like stated by forum member sagor in post 3 in that other topic I linked to above. It has also sometimes caused Windows to freeze/lock for several minutes, the only way to get out of it is to be exceptionally patient and wait (which most of us probably aren't) or perform a bad shutdown by holding the PC power button which is never a good thing.

From the Event Viewer's Log:
The Panda Protection Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Interesting that this isn't in just a single version like the newest 18.05 which I had every intention to update to in order to fix the issue on my system -- but after reading other posts in other topics I see it is also causing issues for people on the newest version too, therefore I won't bother updating just yet.

Since this is causing issues within multiple versions is the issue a Cloud-based Server related bug we are dealing with, or is there perhaps a newer version it's trying to force update to which is perhaps failing?

Edit:
No sooner did I post this and now I'm also getting crashes in Panda Product Service ("PSUAService.exe") and if it is turned off we have no real-time protection, interestingly the Panda Dome GUI suggests restarting Windows however that is not a solution that will fix the problem.

-------------

In case this helps other users, what I've did is re-configured those affected Panda services by going into (on Windows XP):
Start > Run > Services.msc

Panda Product Service:
1. Scroll down to Panda Product Service.
2. Double-click it.
3. Click the Recovery (tab).
4. Now make sure for all three failure boxes that it reads as Restart The Service, and finally click Apply.

Panda Protection Service:
1. Scroll down to Panda Protection Service.
2. Double-click it.
3. Click the Recovery (tab).
4. Now make sure for all three failure boxes that it reads as Restart The Service, and finally click Apply.
andavari

Post by andavari »

More information:
Starting today 1 May 2018 the problem with the service Panda Product Service ("PSUAService.exe") is only when I open the Panda Dome GUI ("PSUAConsole.exe").

I was going to do a Critical Scan but it is now 100% impossible to perform any scanning (via the GUI) as of today because Panda Product Service keeps becoming disabled immediately after opening Panda Dome's GUI. Subsequently don't open the Panda Dome GUI and the real-time protection remains enabled. Strangely right-click scanning works perfectly fine!

With my "Restart The Service" info in my previous post with the Panda Dome GUI open it will restart the crashed Panda Product Service every 2 seconds!

Another Event Viewer log for digestion:
The Panda Product Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 61 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”