Panda Protection v18.0.1 real-time protection causes issues

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
andavari

Panda Protection v18.0.1 real-time protection causes issues

Post by andavari »

Panda Protection v18.0.1 real-time protection causes issues/bugs/flaws in Windows and other programs

Edit:
My OS: Windows XP SP3
Antivirus: Panda Protection v18.0.1

Causes the following issues/bugs/flaws because of real-time protection:

* Bug introduced with Panda Free Antivirus v17.x and it still exists:
Windows Safely Remove Hardware icon in the SysTray will not notify when it's safe to unplug removable drives such as an external USB hard disk, USB thumb drive, etc. Disabling real-time protection allows it to function. This bug first started in Panda Free Antivirus v17.x.

* Bug introduced with Panda Protection v18.0.1:
When adding files via drag 'n' drop into a ZIP archive 7-Zip v16.04 gives an error dialog. It doesn't happen all the time however but it's because of real-time protection.

* Old long lasting bug that still exists:
WinZip Self-Extractor cannot create a self-extracting ZIP archive - this bug has literally been around for many years in Panda Free Antivirus and I've reported it before only to get the topic closed/locked and absolutely nothing was done to fix it.

When disabling real-time protection ALL of the above problems completely disappear and they function correctly.

--------

As usual you can go ahead and close/lock this topic as you usually do since I have nothing else to add into it. I'm just reporting the issues/bugs/flaws and seriously hope they get fixed.
andavari

Re: Panda Protection v18.0.1 real-time protection causes issues

Post by andavari »

I found a new bug in Panda v18.0.1 yesterday, it's another USB related bug:
When attempting to scan an image with my scanner neither Paint.net or Microsoft Paint are able to communicate with the printer/scanner. Disabling real-time protection allowed the scanner to work.

v18.0.1 "PSUAConsole.exe" freezing/locking bug:
I guess this is for the GUI, it's been randomly freezing/locking and it also causes the Windows OS to freeze/lock while the PSUAConsole.exe service or program is restarted. I only found out this info by looking at the Windows Event Viewer log which was full of PSUAConsole.exe issues.

I've since reverted back to the older v17.0.1 from a disk image I had of drive C: with it installed because of all the issues I was facing with v18.0.1 which to me is unusable. Is 18.0.1 really XP compatible?
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by VirusBuster »

The latest version is 18.01.00. Can you confirm that all the tests were done with this version?
andavari wrote:* Bug introduced with Panda Free Antivirus v17.x and it still exists:
Windows Safely Remove Hardware icon in the SysTray will not notify when it's safe to unplug removable drives such as an external USB hard disk, USB thumb drive, etc. Disabling real-time protection allows it to function. This bug first started in Panda Free Antivirus v17.x.
This issue was already reported here and it is still being studied
It is something that only happens in XP so it is not prioritized as Microsoft stopped supporting this operating system long ago
andavari wrote:* Bug introduced with Panda Protection v18.0.1:
When adding files via drag 'n' drop into a ZIP archive 7-Zip v16.04 gives an error dialog. It doesn't happen all the time however but it's because of real-time protection.
I haven't been able to replicate the issue
Have you tried excluding 7-Zip's installation folder in the antivirus settings?
andavari wrote:* Old long lasting bug that still exists:
WinZip Self-Extractor cannot create a self-extracting ZIP archive - this bug has literally been around for many years in Panda Free Antivirus and I've reported it before only to get the topic closed/locked and absolutely nothing was done to fix it.
Have you tried excluding WinZip's installation folder in the antivirus settings?
Regards,

Jorge Torre
TechSupport Department - Panda Security

I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them
andavari

Post by andavari »

In my two previous posts in this topic all the bugs I reported exist in v18.01.

After downgrading to v17.01 all of them exist in that old version too, so these are some old long standing bugs in regards to the real-time protection causing issues.

I've never excluded the 7-Zip or WinZip Self-Extractor folders, actually I never even thought about doing that. Thank you for the tip, I'll give the exclude a try over the next few days or weeks and see if it remedies the issues.

Edit:
The WinZip Self-Extractor exclusion is allowing it to work without any errors happening, and the error was always 100% reproducible before that exclude was made. The 7-Zip exclusion will probably take a while for me to notice since it didn't always happen every time.

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”