Panda Product Service still won't run work around for WinXP

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
andavari

Post by andavari »

After the expired certificates issue:
If anyone is like me and on Windows XP and also encounters issues and bugs when running v18.01 (and also don't want to install Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Full), and would instead prefer to keep using an older version in particular v17.01 which I use after the expired certificates issue this may interest you.

Even though Panda released some sort of "fix" that automatically gets applied the Panda Product Service service still won't run on my WinXP system leaving it unprotected -- so this is what I did to make it function and to avoid having to install v18.01.

Windows XP Instructions:
1. Go into the All Users Profile, Start Menu, Startup folder, easily accomplished by clicking 'Start > Run' and then copy+paste this in (including the quotes) and run this to immediately open the correct folder location:
"%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

2. Right click an empty area inside the Startup folder, and select:
New > Shortcut

3. In the New Shortcut paste in the following text (including the quotes):
%windir%\system32\net.exe start "Panda Product Service"

4. Now paste in the name for the shortcut which is:
Panda Product Service

5. Click Finish to exit the shortcut creation.

6. Now right-click the Panda Product Service shortcut, and select:
Properties

7. In the Properties next to "Run:" change the Window size setting to:
Minimized
7a. Click Apply.
7b. Click OK to exit the shortcut properties.
This is so you won't see the command prompt window display on screen every time you start your computer.

8. Restart Windows.

9. After Windows loads open Task Manager, accomplished by pressing on your keyboard CTRL+ALT+DEL, if you see PSUAService.exe in the list of running programs you have your real-time protection functioning again.

Optional:
If you want that shortcut to have an icon associated with it instead of the blank program icon it has by default do the following (or leave it as is if the blank shortcut doesn't bother you):

1. Go into the All Users Profile, Start Menu, Startup folder, easily accomplished by clicking 'Start > Run' and then copy+paste this in (including the quotes) and run this to immediately open the correct folder location:
"%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

2. Right-click the Panda Product Service shortcut, and select: Properties

3. Click the Change Icon button, and click OK when notified that net.exe contains no icons.
3a. Browse to this path (copy+paste it into the window, including the quotes):
"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Panda Security\Panda Security Protection\Res\Current\Images\MainIcon.ico"
3b. Click OK when the Panda icon is displayed in the window.
3c. Click Apply to save the icon for the shortcut.
3d. Click OK to exit the shortcut properties.
biggsylofthouse

Re: Panda Product Service still won't run work around for WinXP

Post by biggsylofthouse »

Sorry but if Panda think that is a get round then I'm sorry but that is not good enough, I have two years left on my subscription and after a wweek of getting nowhere I will install Kaspersky
andavari

Re: Panda Product Service still won't run work around for WinXP

Post by andavari »

biggsylofthouse wrote:Sorry but if Panda think that is a get round then I'm sorry but that is not good enough
I'm not affiliated with Panda in any way. I'm a regular end-user of Panda Free Antivirus.

Can a mod split the off topic comment out of my topic?

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”