Problems with installation of Dome 18.05 on Windows XP

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
hake

Problems with installation of Dome 18.05 on Windows XP

Post by hake »

I followed my usual procedure and uninstalled Panda Dome 18.04 using Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs after starting Windows XP in Safe Mode. I then ran Panda Generic Installer which I downloaded after the release of Dome 18.04. Attempting installation of Dome 18.05 in Windows XP normal mode resulted in half an hour of nothing being installed as the procedure went round and round as if in an endless loop. Panda Dome 18.04 had previously installed smoothly. I shut down and restarted the system, ran Panda Generic Installer in Safe Mode again then attempted to install Dome 18.05 again. The same result happened and so I tried to run Panda Generic Installer but received the message that a reboot was necessary I rebooted but the sam happened. A belated attempt to install Dome 18.04 failed so I resorted to recovering the system disk clone copy which I had performed, with immense good judgement, prior to the attempt to install Dome 18.05.

After the impeccable behaviour I had previously experienced with Panda Free 18 in all its versions, I assumed that there was something seriously wrong with Dome 18.05 and so gave up on it.

Is Panda Dome 18.05 designed to work with Windows XP on a pre-SSE2 processor equipped computer? Panda Dome 18.04 does work and quite beautifully. I am still very happily using Panda Dome 18.04. It seems to me to be the best version of Panda Free Antivirus yet released.
Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
jr5280

Re: Problems with installation of Dome 18.05 on Windows XP

Post by jr5280 »

hake wrote:Is Panda Dome 18.05 designed to work with Windows XP on a pre-SSE2 processor equipped computer? Panda Dome 18.04 does work and quite beautifully. I am still very happily using Panda Dome 18.04. It seems to me to be the best version of Panda Free Antivirus yet released.
Panda Dome 18.05 installed without issue (although it did take longer than previous Panda installations) on my Windows XP/pre-SSE2 PC and has been working well ever since:

I uninstalled 18.04 using Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (without entering Safe Mode or using Panda Generic Uninstaller), restarted my PC, and manually deleted the remaining Panda folders and files. (I also deleted the safe-to-delete Panda Registry entries, but I'd recommend skipping this step if your not reasonably Registry savvy.)

I then installed Panda Dome 18.05 using the off-line installer (not the Web installer) -- it's been my experience that Web installers are tools of the Devil and should be avoided whenever an off-line installer is available. The installation went smoothly but slowly, taking perhaps 10 minutes all told (an unreliable guesstimate, as I didn't time it), including one or two long stretches with no activity shown in the installation dialog, though there was hard drive activity.

The recurring PSExpCampaign.exe error message problem still exists (the executable itself requires a CPU with SSE2 support), so I used a Registry hack to work around it -- the same Registry hack that I previously posted for versions 18.03 and 18.04. I've re-posted it below.

Here's a workaround for the recurring PSExpCampaign.exe error message problem on Windows XP PCs with non-SSE2 CPUs:

Open the Registry Editor and locate the following key in the Registry:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Panda Security\DMP Agent\Config\Scheduler\Tasks"

Locate the following entry among the 13 or 14 listed:

"RecurrentCloudAvPSExpCampaign"

Delete this entry (you may want to copy/backup the entry before deleting it), close the Registry Editor, and immediately restart the PC. That's it.

This workaround removes the recurring task of launching PSExpCampaign.exe from Panda's task scheduler without affecting anything else, allowing you to leave the Panda Devices Agent service enabled (on Automatic) so that it can accomplish its other tasks -- several of which do indeed appear to be important to Panda's normal operation, as Darth Panda has pointed out.

Good luck.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

thanks for your comments.
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com
hake

Post by hake »

I first created a clone copy of my system drive. I was unable to perform jr5280's procedure successfully. There is definitely a difference between 18.05 and 18.04 installation. I found that I needed to uninstall 18.04 in safe mode as the process hanged in normal mode. Once this was completed I was still unable to install 18.05.

I then recovered my system drive, uninstalled 18.04 in safe mode and after restarting had no problem in installing 18.04 again.

:?:
jr5280

Post by jr5280 »

hake wrote:I first created a clone copy of my system drive. I was unable to perform jr5280's procedure successfully. There is definitely a difference between 18.05 and 18.04 installation. I found that I needed to uninstall 18.04 in safe mode as the process hanged in normal mode. Once this was completed I was still unable to install 18.05.

I then recovered my system drive, uninstalled 18.04 in safe mode and after restarting had no problem in installing 18.04 again.

:?:
You might try re-enabling the Panda Devices Agent service if you haven't already done so, as it runs some registration, configuration, and communication tasks that might somehow affect installation/uninstallation. Many of its tasks are run on a schedule, so I'd re-enable it, wait a day or two to give it time to do its thing, and then try uninstalling 18.04 and installing 18.05. Other than that, I've got nothing.
RedsFan

Post by RedsFan »

I also noticed that installation of 18.0.5 take much longer time to install than previous versions (around 10 min) :cry:
Intel® i3-4150 Dual-Core@3,5 GHZ. Ram: 16 GB. HD 1 TB // Windows 10 Home x64bit.
hake

Post by hake »

Panda Dome 18.05 successfully installed. Dome 18.05 is more fussy to install than Dome 18.04. Thanks for all the advice.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Tx RedsFan.
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”