Register
FaceBook Twitter

Panda deleted a file without confirmation?! How can I recover it?

Queries regarding Panda Free Antivirus will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.

Panda deleted a file without confirmation?! How can I recover it?

Postby Darthagnon » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 17:40

Panda all of a sudden notified me that one of my personal files, a VBS script I made as a kid, was a virus, and deleted that precious file, without any confirmation or moving it to quarantine, or anything. This is despite me having the option "Ask before neutralizing a virus" enabled.

My questions are:

1) What is the point of the option "ask before neutralizing" if it doesn't ask? Why didn't it move the script to quarantine?

2) How do I recover my file? I don't currently have a backup, as I am in the middle of migrating computers.

I eagerly await your response. I was happy with Panda Antivirus, until it did this, which is the very reason I ditched Bitdefender.

Please help me.

Thank you

Darth Agnon

Re: Panda deleted a file without confirmation?! How can I recover it?

Postby Darthagnon » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 17:46

I have disabled Panda Antivirus. I am currently too scared to re-enable it, for fear it will delete more of my files.

Unless there's a solution to this problem, and I can prevent Panda from deleting files without asking me first, I will be uninstalling it and seeking alternatives.

One of the main reasons I ditched Bitdefender was that it was too ready to delete my files without saying anything, or letting me stop it. I had hoped Panda would be different, especially when I saw the "ask before neutralizing a virus" setting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Postby Darthagnon » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 18:15

I have managed to recover my file from my backup drive using Piriform Recuva; I have also excluded My Documents, My Downloads and a few other folders from Panda scanning, to avoid this happening again. However, I am still wondering - why didn't Panda confirm that I wanted the file to be deleted? I shouldn't have to exclude all the folders I work with from day to day from my antivirus for it to be usable. I am still wondering how I would go about recovering the file normally, without using Recuva and looking through deleted files? Panda just said it was deleted; didn't move it to the quarantine or anything. How could I have recovered it?

Official moderator

Postby Darth Panda » Tue, 14 Aug 2018, 09:55

If we take the file as a virus, we delete it.
We only send it quarentine when is an unknown file.

You always should have the unknown files on a folder excluded from analysis, if you develop software, as new software depending on the actions taken on the computer will be declared either as malware or unknown software.
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com

Return to Panda Free Antivirus - Issues