[SOLVED] Windows Defender

Container for RESOLVED incidents, queries SOLVED by the experts, EXPIRED topics or those that have been CLOSED by the users
robertd

[SOLVED] Windows Defender

Post by robertd »

Our old antivirus software had an option to disable Windows defender. I don't see that option in PCOP console. Is it recommended to disable Windows defender on all computers with PCOP installed?
rmadzharov

Re: Windows Defender

Post by rmadzharov »

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Windows Defender will be disabled automatically.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Radko
The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Panda Security's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
robertd

Post by robertd »

OK. Thanks for the info. I noticed a lot of clients still downloading windows defender updates from our WSUS server so I'll have to take a look at those clients and see if it's disabled or not.
rmadzharov

Post by rmadzharov »

Hello,

Thank you for your kind reply.

Updates will still be distributed as they are part of ... Windows update.
The automatic protection should be disabled, though.

Cheers!
The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Panda Security's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
robertd

Post by robertd »

It looks like it's not working correctly. I have a computer here which has PCOP 6.10\6.014 running and up to date. I was installing security updates and one of the updates was windows defender. So I went into control panel and sure enough Windows Defender real-time protection is NOT disabled. Any idea why not?
rmadzharov

Post by rmadzharov »

Hi!

My bad, dude, seems WD and Panda products co-exist and complement eachother.

I think the situation was with Windows XP where there was some conflict between these software...

In any case, I'm glad you took your time to investigate.

Cheers!
robertd

Post by robertd »

Thanks for the update. I really wish we had the option to disable it as I don't want another program running. I would disable it company wide but that won't be good either as I still want it running on computers which do not have pcop installed.

Can you make this a feature request?
rmadzharov

Post by rmadzharov »

Hello,

Thank you for your kind reply.

Please be advised that you can never completely disable Windows Defender, since it is hardcoded to every file operation in Windows and more specific in Internet Explorer. Basically it is a feature of Windows that you just can't stop. Even if you stop the resident module from the WD GUI, it still does the checks.

WD is not a resource hog, though, users will not even notice if it is working or not.

With regards to the feature request, the proper way to go about this is to contact your local Panda tech support team and open a case with them pointing to this forum topic.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
robertd

Post by robertd »

I've looked online and most users said they have never seen windows defender find or catch anything so I see no reason to leave it enabled. Plus every real-time antivirus software I've used, automatically disabled windows defender. So I went ahead and disabled it with group policy although I think Panda should disable it automatically in the future. If anyone wants to do the same, here is the info http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/config ... olicy.html

Return to “Adaptive Defense and Endpoint Protection - Archive Issues”