[CLOSED] Conflicting firewall pgp2012 and windows firewall

Container for RESOLVED incidents, queries SOLVED by the experts, EXPIRED topics or those that have been CLOSED by the users.
pluimpje

[CLOSED] Conflicting firewall pgp2012 and windows firewall

Post by pluimpje »

Let's start at the beginning: By default my file-and printer sharing are disabled.
However today i noticed that whenever we choose another firewall than windows firewall, in this case panda global protection 2012, the file- and printer sharing settings get enabled.
So i think that the other panda products with a firewall are having the same problem, if not all firewalls, because i wasable to reproduce this problem on a windows 7 64 bit pc with another firewall

There are 2 options firstly disable windows firewall through control panel , secondly disable windows firewall by disabling the windows firewall services.

First option
-----------
Panda global protection 2012 is installed and windows firewall is disabled through control panel. When we go to 'file- and printer sharing settings' we see that they are enabled. When we disable them and reboot, windows firewall gets enabled automatically and causes a conflict with the installed firewall.

The panda global protection 2012 pop-up is saying that there is a conflict between panda and windows firewall because windows firewall is enabled. And it's advise is to use the panda global protection 2012.
The windows firewall pop-up says that some parts of panda are already blocked on private and public networks. The conflict-popup from panda came up every time, the windows firewall pop-up only twice.

When replying to the panda pop-up we have the choice between panda and windows firewall. If we choose windows firewall , there is no red cross over the
panda icon, only when we double click the panda icon we get warned that the panda firewall is disabled (in the popup window.

When we choose panda global protection then windows firewall doesn't get disabled at all (look at the advanced settings, it stays enable for some things).

Secondly , open the panda windows-> click on firewall-> click on configuration of the security level of the networks: see all Network, the name of the network , wifi 1 disappears but is still av ailable but can not be changed.

Thirdly , the network settings which you can see with panda, changes from private to alll and/or public, and there is no access possible anymore with the
internet. Only when turning the file-and printer sharing settings back to enabled and reboot, windows will give you back internet connection.

Fourthly Last but not least: all programs which where given access earlier are asking permission again.

Second option
--------------
Installed panda global protection 2012 and disable windows firewall by stopping the windows firewall services and change the startup type to disabled.
Before i change anything i disable the file- and printer sharing setting first.

When i stop the windows firewall service , the file- and printer sharing settings doesn't change , it stays disabled. Also no change in the file- and printer sharing service when i disable the startup type :)

After rebooting, the file- and printer sharing setting have changed back to enabled but the windows firewall service stays disabled , the advanced settings of the windows firewall shows the message "failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer you are managing. Error code 0x6D9."
When opening the Panda global protection 2012, the panda firewall is turned off as well , while all the panda services are running (except for the parental control service which is not installed. (enabling the panda GP 2012 firewall did the trick, as it stayed enabled even after a reboot later on).
When checking the configuration of the network settings in panda global protection , the names 'wifi 1' and 'wifi 2' have disappeared and my 2nd wifi network has changed from trusted into public.

When i try to disable the file- and printer sharing setting , (home/work and public) windows lets me save the changes , however when checking if it really is disabled, it reveals that file- and printer sharing has automatically changed back to enable. And it keeps doing this all the time

I will now turn off the windows firewall by stopping the windows firewall service and change the startup type to disabled (disabling the file- and printer sharing setting first before i begin ).
When i stop the windows firewall service , the file- and printer sharing settings doesn't change , it stays disabled. Also no change in the file- and printer sharing service when i disable the startup type

Can you tell me which setting i need to change in the registry to turn off windows firewall completely and permanently Change file and printer sharing settings to disable
pluimpje

installing panda GP 2012 doesn't stop windows firewall

Post by pluimpje »

Installing Panda doesn't stop the windows firewall service nor change the startup type of the windows firewall (hell , those settings aren't even affected when disabling the windows firewall through the control panel!!), otherwise i should have seen that error on the advanced settings of the windows firewall sooner.

Installing panda stops the windows firewall for the home/office network profiles. However on doing so my disabled Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter changes into a disabled public network according to panda global protection 2012 (I doubt whether panda GP 2012 is watching this network) .

I'm going to uninstall panda global protection 2012 and reinstall while the windows firewall is turned off.

After reinstall and update (During install and if windows firewall service is not turned off prior to installation of panda software, panda should turn off the windows firewall service, prior to installation or at least prior to installation of the panda firewall). I checked everything. All services of panda are running. Windows firewall is still turned off. When clicking the windows firewall advanced settings. File- and printer sharing settings are enabled and can not be set to disabled without turning the windows firewall service back on ( that's maliciously creating a security leak). Double clicking the panda icon-> configuration->firewall-> section networks-> automatic modus is enabled , but only wifi 1 is enable, all other networks are disabled and yet all other networks (ethernet 1 and wifi 2) are set to public network (could be a safety precaution), but the names ethernet 1, Wifi 1 and wifi 2 are visible again. Notice that in comparaison with the prior installation ethernet 1 has changed from trusted network to public network (although that network was also disabled during prior installation.
That's it
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Re: conflicting firewall panda global 2012 and windows firew

Post by VirusBuster »

By default we enable the files and printers sharing for the adapters set to the private network
If you want to disable the files and printers sharing for all the adapters, set them to the public network in the firewall settings
Regards,

Jorge Torre
TechSupport Department - Panda Security

I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them
pluimpje

Post by pluimpje »

Hi,

I've set the adapters on public rebooted and changed the file and printer sharing settings to disabled, saved the settinng but invain, when i look back it is reset to enabled.(click panda icon-> click firewall-> click configuration network ->changed the networks to public).

After rebooting i also went back to the network setting through the panda icon and noticed a 2nd wifi network appearing that is also set to public. This is probably my microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter. When i go to my networkcenter in control panel my active networks are still homenetwork.
pluimpje

Post by pluimpje »

Even when i change my networks to public network and rreboot, i can not set the file and printer sharing settings to disabled ((windows accepts the change, but when you go back to check it is set to enabled automatically).

I don't understand why we have to set the adapter to public to get it working (this setting is also available in the private/work network
pluimpje

Post by pluimpje »

Remember that i have been able to reproduce the matter, on an other computer running windows7 64 bit (the same windows i have but another language) and another AV, so its windows related not panda
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by VirusBuster »

pluimpje wrote:Remember that i have been able to reproduce the matter, on an other computer running windows7 64 bit (the same windows i have but another language) and another AV, so its windows related not panda
If its an operating system problem you should contact Microsoft
If you don't want to share anything over the LAN you could uninstall the files and printer sharing service in the network adapters, but that's only a suggestion
Regards,

Jorge Torre

pluimpje

Post by pluimpje »

When i went to the properties of my network, i saw a file and printer sharing service installed, i unchecked and removed it , resulting in file and printer sharing settings to be set to disabled.

For those who later on want to install it-> click on install -> click on service-> click on add -> select file and printer sharing for microsofr networks.

Thanks for this
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by VirusBuster »

TOPIC CLOSED
Regards,

Jorge Torre

Return to “Consumer 2012 - Archive Issues”