What does PSExpCampaign.exe do?

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
jr5280

PSExpCampaign.exe causes "Illegal Instruction" error

Post by jr5280 »

Whenever Panda Free Antivirus 18.01.00 tries to launch PSExpCampaign.exe, it fails and Windows XP generates an "Illegal Instruction" error. This problem has only existed since 16 MAR 2017, but it appears many time per day.

I have an old PC with a CPU that does not support SSE2, and I strongly suspect that PSExpCampaign.exe requires SSE2 support. Panda Free Antivirus works fine otherwise. Please advise.

Thanks.

My system:
Windows XP (SP3)
Athlon XP 3000+ CPU (with SSE but not SSE2 support)
hake

Re: PSExpCampaign.exe causes "Illegal Instruction" error

Post by hake »

I hope that this problem is unintentional. Version 18.1.0 provides security news which 18.0.0 does not. Switching off the supply of security news does not help though.

Nice to know that I have the company of another user of the venerable Athlon XP 3000+ and Windows XP.

Since 'PSExpCampaign.exe' is likely not part of the core functionality of Panda Free, I hope that the glitch can be corrected.
Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
hake

Re: PSExpCampaign.exe causes "Illegal Instruction" error

Post by hake »

Illegal instruction error happens with version 18.0.0 also.
hake

What does PSExpCampaign.exe do?

Post by hake »

What does PSExpCampaign.exe do? It seems to raise its head only when I run Firefox ESR (45.8) on Windows XP SP3.
jr5280

Re: What does PSExpCampaign.exe do?

Post by jr5280 »

I'm wildly guessing that PSExpCampaign.exe is the advertising component of Panda Security software (I'm thinking "ad Campaign" here), but only the Panda Powers That Be know for sure. It could just be a coincidence, but I haven't had any of the usual (if infrequent) Panda ads pop up since the PSExpCampaign.exe "illegal instruction" problem appeared.
andavari

Post by andavari »

Advertising! You can browse through your user AppData folder to find out.
Ezekial

Post by Ezekial »

ZoneAlarm Free, says Application C:\ProgramData\PandaSecurity\Panda Devices Agent\Downloads\4f5403c6e84435fbda10246629885c02\PSCampaign.exe -- Further says. this is trying to create a new Process.

Said that this is trying to run something, that may lead to privaleged access.

I see that Panda has a Privacy tool for devices, but I do not have Mobile devices.
Except I have laptop, so that may be a mobile device. Except, the URL web page did not say
the security service for devices is for laptop.

If this is just to run Panda Pop-ups.. then they should do it differently.. cas I don't grant this priv. access.

ZoneAlarm page (quote) ..

ZoneAlarm is asking you whether to allow this behavior. Your computer is safe.
What should I do?
If PSCampaign needs to create a new process in order to function correctly and you know what this program is, then give it permission. If it does not need to create a process, or you know that a process should not be created, then deny it. If you are unsure, you can always deny it from creating a process and run the program again, if it is required.
Why?
PSCampaign is potentially malicious. This is particularly true if the new process will load malicious programs or utilize an excessive amount of CPU time, memory, and other resources.

hake

Post by hake »

PSExpCampaign.exe is a flipping nuisance. Panda products run nicely on old processors and then PSExpCampaign.exe comes along and is coded so it won't run on old pre-SSE2 instruction processors. This executable is apparently for advertising purposes except that it cannot function on old hardware so on my PCs it is pointless, both for me and for Panda.

Perhaps I should look in the bright side and regard the crashing PSExpCampaign.exe as protecting my privacy?

Why can't Panda push software which will run on older processors or else fail silently and gracefully? Other developers can manage to identify a PC's processor and so avoid such malfunctions that create such a wonderful shop window for Panda.
andavari

Post by andavari »

I always uninstall it in Add/Remove programs, it's this listing:
Panda Devices Agent

Although Panda may state it's for "something else," and "required".

Edit:
Fixed typos, time for sleep!
tibko

Post by tibko »

hake wrote:What does PSExpCampaign.exe do? It seems to raise its head only when I run Firefox ESR (45.8) on Windows XP SP3.
Yes! it's the problem. I have same compatibility error with this hardware and SO

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”