.NET Framework 4

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
hake

.NET Framework 4

Post by hake »

What about a modified installer for Panda Free AV 17.0.1 for those who cannot install MS .NET4.
Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
OrlandoFurioso

Re: RE: PsEvents.exe errors + PSExpCampaign.exe errors + Installation problems

Post by OrlandoFurioso »

I reinstalled the new freeav.exe and all went well. Now it works in wonder! Thank you all for your work!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by VirusBuster »

.NET Framework 4 is requiered to be able to install our latest product versions
Why are you not able to install .NET Framework 4? Because OS/hardware requirements?

You can download .NET Framework 4
Standalone installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=17718
Web installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=17851

If you are not able to install .NET Framework 4 because your OS or hardware doesn't support it, I'm afraid that you will need to use an older Panda product version
Regards,

Jorge Torre
TechSupport Department - Panda Security

I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them
paul1149

Re: .NET Framework 4

Post by paul1149 »

I like the looks of the new PFAV. But adding 200MB of compressed files, which is what it comes to with subsequent .NET updates, to the install is disappointing. I hope there is good reason for doing so. And those files will decompress even further. I was trying to get away from .NET altogether, and having some success until this.

The interface also seems more complicated than before.
andavari

Post by andavari »

VirusBuster wrote:.NET Framework 4 is requiered to be able to install our latest product versions
And that alone is very unfortunate, Panda has really goofed up by requiring .NET Framework 4 in my opinion. It's requiring something that allot of us completely loathe and for valid reasoning.

It takes what used to be a very quick installation such as in previous versions of Panda Free Antivirus to at the very least a 1 hour ordeal which can be 2 hours in some situations of letting Microsoft Updates or Automatic Updates install all the updates for .NET Framework 4 mostly because .NET Runtime Optimization Service (aka "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN", "mscorsvw.exe" takes forever to "optimize" .NET Framework 4 and upon rebooting it keeps doing it. NET Framework 4 adds allot of bloatware to a system just to run a small sized antivirus product.

Also after installing a ton of .NET Framework updates it becomes rather notorious for when it starts failing to successfully install updates, which can then in turn corrupt .NET Framework to the point that requires the use of .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx) to remedy the issue without ever having to go down the usual route of having to format+reinstall Windows just to fix the .NET Framework corruption. I've been there and dealt with that on several occasions. Hence the reason it's rather understandable why people are hesitant to install the newest version of Panda Free Antivirus.
glenvee

Post by glenvee »

So how do I download an older Panda free version that doesn't use .Net Framework 4.0?
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

A little follow-up. I downloaded .net framework 4 and have a local copy now, which makes that easy. There are more Win updates, though, but they don't seem to be too bad.

Most importantly, Panda seems to be as resource-frugal as ever. I was afraid .net would use more resources, but that doesn't appear to have happened.
hake

Post by hake »

There are scores of .NET 4 updates to install following the initial installation. To use .NET 4 is to create additional insecurities unless updates are installed regularly. Automatic updates for Windows XP Embedded, POSReady, or whatever you have running are now breaking, Internet Explorer 8 can no longer access the Microsoft Update web pages. For the small old laptops I use, I would rather not have to update from Panda Free 16 so if there is a way to prevent this, I would be very glad to know.

I hope that the Panda 18 installer checks for the presence of .NET 4 and does not proceed if it is not found.
Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”