Cannot run scan

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
everyday

Cannot run scan

Post by everyday »

Hi - I've got Panda free anti-virus running on a Windows XP PC - I'm using Firefox as my browser. If I try and run a scan (even a critical areas one) it just takes ages to do anything. I tried earlier and in 1 hour it had only scanned 213 files - or 1%! On task manager PSUAMAIN and psanhost are between them using 100% of CPU all the time it's running. Any ideas please (my browser CPU usage is often at 90%+ as well)?
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Re: Cannot run scan

Post by Darth Panda »

Dear client,

Uninstall the antivirus.

now check the instructions on the url:

https://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/suppo ... ?id=502132

and install the AV again.

Mostly would be a problem of not having the root certificates updated on a windows xp and a 2003 server.

regards,
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com
everyday

Post by everyday »

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I really understand this. I checked in Control Panel and the 'update root certificates' option is checked. Generally my PC has been very slow for the last couple of months when browsing, with CPU usage over 90% a lot of the time - might be since a Firefox update was done. Does Panda still support Windows XP / sp3? Are you suggesting that uninstalling it then reinstalling might do the trick? I regularly get the pop-up windows advertising other Panda products so that works. How can I tell if the free version itself is being updated?

Thanks for any help.
joseba.panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by joseba.panda »

Dear customer,

You can try to update the root certificates manually first, as shown in the webhelp we sent you before, but if the cpu usage issue still remains after doing those steps, try to re-install again you panda antivirus software y check if after that re-installation, it works properly.

Best regards.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Thanks - as I said the option to update root certificates is already checked. I went to the link provided and downloaded the .rar file - how do I unzip it? How might the root certificates be causing a problem?
joseba.panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by joseba.panda »

Dear customer,

The password for the rar file, is panda

The reason why we recommend to follow these steps about the root certificates it's because we had previously reported issues like yours, which have been resolved doing all this process.

Best regards.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Sorry, I saw the password but I don't know how to unzip it. I've downloaded the .rar file but if I click on it it says that Windows can't open it.
joseba.panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by joseba.panda »

Dear customer.

Dont't worry, let's do the following:

1. Go to winrar site: https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0

2. Click on "download winrar" or if you have a 64 bit operating system on the link "click here for 64bit version"

3. Once the file has been downloaded, run it to install winrar. (If when running the file, nothing happens, do a rightclick on the installation file, go to properties and in the "general" tab just click on the button called unlock and then press apply and ok). After this you will be able to run the installation file.

4. When winrar is alredy installed, do a rightclick on the rar file you downloaded before, and press over "extract here" you will be asked for the password, type panda and press ok.

5. Once you have the uncompressed file, before running the exe file you have obtained, repeat the previous process to unlock the file before running it.

6. When the root certificates has been updated trough this file, you'll have to reboot the pc.

Best regards.
everyday

Post by everyday »

OK, I've downloaded winrar and extracted the rootsupd so I now have a subdirectory called rootsupd with various files in it - advpack.dll, 4 microsoft certficate store files, rootsupd application, rootsupd setup information and updroots application. What (if any) of those do I now click on? Also, how does the update file know whose certificates it is updating?
everyday

Post by everyday »

Any ideas please?

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”