Is 18.04 (Dome) the new version for everyone now?

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
plasticpanda

Is 18.04 (Dome) the new version for everyone now?

Post by plasticpanda »

Hi

I came here to read about what Panda are doing with regards Meltdown/Spectre... But then I found out that there is a new FREE version available - 18.04 (Dome).

1. Is this now available to everyone or only certain countries (I am in the UK)?
2. Why is there no mention of it on the Panda website (or have I just missed it)?
3. The version I currently have is 18.03 , but that seems to be dated from 2016. Is it really that old???
4. At the moment I am still on XP, but soon to change. In the meantime though, can anyone clarify where Panda stands with XP support for both the version I am running (18.03), the new version (18.04 / Dome), and also for Meltdown/Spectre (I saw on the Panda page regarding those vulnerabilities and the update key that XP is not listed under operating systems).

Many thanks :)
RedsFan

Re: Is 18.04 (Dome) the new version for everyone now?

Post by RedsFan »

I think it should be better to release Dome free 18.04 for everyone , as they want to change names.
They have to choose Now !

For a week now i'm using Panda Dome free 18.04 and all running smooth.
Intel® i3-4150 Dual-Core@3,5 GHZ. Ram: 16 GB. HD 1 TB // Windows 10 Home x64bit.
hake

Post by hake »

Panda Dome free 18.04 sets the quality compatibility registry entry in Windows 7 and later. This means that Panda Dome accesses the Windows kernel by Microsoft approved entries and therefore Microsoft update is allowed work as normal. I believe that Microsoft imposes this quality test so that certain bad AV products cannot directly access the kernel after the Meltdown/Spectre fixes. This precaution prevents rogue AV products from causing system crashes. Panda Dome satisfies this Microsoft requirement.

There is no quality compatibility registry entry applied to Windows XP.

I want to say here that I find that Panda Dome free 18.04 is an excellent quality release. Using it with Windows 7 or later greatly mitigates the perfomance problems created by the Meltdown/Spectre updates, especially wih older slower processors. I had to remove Avast free 17 because the system was unaccptably slow and installed Panda Dome instead. The performance thereafter was not much different from what it was before the Meltdown/Spectre MS fixes were applied.
Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

I could not have said that better.
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com
plasticpanda

Post by plasticpanda »

So any word on when Dome will be available?
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Worldwide, End of February.

Regards
www.pandasecurity.com
plasticpanda

Post by plasticpanda »

Hi

I wondered if there is an update on this please? I have had a look and the only versions of Dome I could find are ones you have to pay for... Is there a free version of this and if so could I get a link please? If not, what is the latest free version available?

Many thanks

EDIT - Also... I've just downloaded the FREE version from the website. When I run the install, it says I must first uninstall "Panda Protection" before I can install "Panda Free Anti-Virus". So does that mean that I have been running an out of date program up til now?
plasticpanda

Post by plasticpanda »

Anybody? It would be nice to know if my AV is now out of date!

Cheers
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Uninstall all versions installed on your comptuer, and install the dome version:
For the free dome version you can download it from:

http://acs.pandasoftware.com/Panda/FREE ... FREEAV.exe
www.pandasecurity.com
plasticpanda

Post by plasticpanda »

Great - thanks for that! All uninstalled / re-installed, and now all up to date. :D

For the record and out of interest, where on the Panda site can this be downloaded from? Do you have a link to the page please? I'm still having trouble finding it! Just curious...

Cheers

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”