RE: NNSNAHSL.SYS causing non-paged memory leak

Find the answers to Adaptive Defense and Endpoint Protection queries in this forum. The experts will help you out!
lmp

RE: NNSNAHSL.SYS causing non-paged memory leak

Post by lmp »

Based on the inaccurate information provided by moderator Darth Panda and the wrongful locking of the original topic, I will have to open a new one and set the record straight.

Below is quoted the last reply from the original topic, before it was locked:
Darth Panda wrote: Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 16:09 Hi lmp,

It was implemented a new version to solve the issue. That version included modifications in the antivirus drivers and in the way they work.

Regards,
As it turns out, this is inaccurate information.
A few hours ago I uninstalled Panda Endpoint Protection from a server where a "fixed" NNSNAHSL.SYS driver was installed a year ago, just to reboot, reinstall, reboot again, and find out that by default the latest version still leaks memory when using Winpcap to sniff network traffic. So far I haven't bothered to check which version or driver is causing it, I suppose it is still NNSNAHSL.SYS, and apparently no one at Panda gives a crap about this, so there's that. At the moment I'm reapplying the year old "fix" just to get by, hoping to stay "safe". :x
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Re: RE: NNSNAHSL.SYS causing non-paged memory leak

Post by Darth Panda »

Hi lmp,

In order to know which driver is causing the issue, we need to collect some files from the computer. I recommend you to contact with your country technical support.

Regards,
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com
lmp

Post by lmp »

Darth Panda wrote: Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 09:08 Hi lmp,

In order to know which driver is causing the issue, we need to collect some files from the computer. I recommend you to contact with your country technical support.

Regards,
Hi.

Thanks, but no need.
I know which file is causing the issue, it is mentioned in this topic's name, and the "solutuion" is the same as last year's - applying Panda's Nano FW Reference Control + NetBuffers "patch". As for an actual fix, apparently there is none (unsure if for technical reasons). I already contacted the tech support referencing the incident from last year, but I'm pretty sure that if an issue is raised, recognized, and not fixed in the final build, then it won't be ever fixed, again I'm not sure about the reason why.

And again, the original topic shouldn't have been locked, there's no plausible explanation to justify it. In fact, there's a strong case against - case in point, the name of this sub-forum: "Adaptive Defense and Endpoint Protection - Issues" and the fact is that this is an ongoing issue with that product that affects users under the conditions specified.

ISSUE OPENED: 15 May 2018
ISSUE RESOLVED: (never)

Regards,
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Hi lmp,

The version you have installed is 8.00.01.0001. There is a higher version, but we do not update all the clients at the same time. Contact the technical support in your country to update the antivirus.

Regards,
www.pandasecurity.com
lmp

Post by lmp »

Darth Panda wrote: Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 12:03 Hi lmp,

The version you have installed is 8.00.01.0001. There is a higher version, but we do not update all the clients at the same time. Contact the technical support in your country to update the antivirus.

Regards,
Thanks, will do and report back.
officially4h

Post by officially4h »

Thank you so much to tell us about a memory leak.

Code: Select all

insta mp4 downloader
lmp

Post by lmp »

officially4h wrote: Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 16:41 Thank you so much to tell us about a memory leak.
If you had this problem and were able to find it by Googling alone, then congratulations to you!
Since finding out about and researching this issue, a year ago, Panda is still distributing the old version of their protection agent like morons.
Panda, if you take more than a year to alpha-test/beta-test/lab-test/testing in general... y'a know, and you have yet to upgrade all your customers' agents, well, you're doing it fkn wrong.

EDIT: While I'm at it, since it took all this time to get things going, I might as well share the fix and install instructions; files are officially signed by Panda: link removed by mods, send me a PM instead.
1.- Launch Nano FW Reference Control Remover.exe.
2.- You don't need to reboot right now, except if the package tells you so because some files or drivers were locked. Otherwise, don't need it.
3.- Install Nano FW Reference Control Installer + NetBuffers.exe
4.- On background, after this installation ends, an Agent configuration process will be launched. Please, leave the computer a few minutes while it performs the necessary changes: Gather the network configuration again, retrieve policies, a new panda icon on the systray will appear, etc...
5.- Now, you have to reboot the computer to allow the drivers to start normally.
6.- Done. The network infrastructure driver should not cause a memory leak any longer.
Last edited by lmp on Wed, 24 Apr 2019, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Hi lmp,

I deleted the link because that fix applies only to version 8.01 and is already included in the new versions. The solution therefore would be to update to the latest version as I indicated and as I see that you have already requested the technical support of your country.
The versions are updated to the clients in a staggered way, they do not apply to all the clients at the same time, but you can request that they apply it by contacting the technical support of your country.

Regards,
www.pandasecurity.com
lmp

Post by lmp »

Darth Panda wrote: Wed, 24 Apr 2019, 09:00 Hi lmp,

I deleted the link because that fix applies only to version 8.01 and is already included in the new versions. The solution therefore would be to update to the latest version as I indicated and as I see that you have already requested the technical support of your country.
The versions are updated to the clients in a staggered way, they do not apply to all the clients at the same time, but you can request that they apply it by contacting the technical support of your country.

Regards,
I deleted the link because that fix applies only to version 8.01
That's not accurate, I've applied the patch to versions as high as v18.06 - something you should have been aware.

You could just have added that note and left the link, I don't understand what harm could come out of it with that in mind. This issue has been going on for at least one year, and Panda hasn't been very effective in letting their customers know about it, informing on new releases and changelog, or actually proactively doing something for that matter (and when I say "not very effective", I really mean incompetent).

For example: https://support.pandasecurity.com/forum ... php?t=6944
Like him, there have probably been hundreds of customers just wandering around because no one thought that it would be a good idea to tell them about this bug. Interestingly, that customer was on v18.06 and, as I told you, the bug is still present. Myself, I've been at v18.01 with no clue of new updates because... Panda likes mystery, I'm guessing?!

It's all nice and good that there is a new version, congrats, I just hope customers are effectively informed about it in order to be able to manually request the upgrade to tech support (since they can't do it themselves, again, for "reasons"); let's not mince words, there's nothing staggering about the rate at which Panda rolls-out updates to their customers, I would even argue that the exact opposite is true. Yet, I can't blame Panda for being cautious, not really, I do understand the hassle when you roll-out updates and your clients can't boot their machines any longer. Anyway, in the meantime, if anyone needs the patch for the stagnant versions bellow v18.12 (v18.00.12) just PM me and I'll send you the link.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Hi lmp,

If the program with problems is a version 18.06 then it is Panda Dome and not Adaptive Defense 360, so the hotfix is ​​not valid. There is also a Panda Dome update that should have been installed automatically and that solves the problem with Panda Dome.

The hotfix is ​​included in versions of Adaptive Defense 360 ​​higher than 8.00.01 and there are very few clients with this version so we believe that the best solution to this problem is to perform the update.

Regards,
www.pandasecurity.com

Return to “Adaptive Defense and Endpoint Protection - Issues”