Processhacker -- why "malware"?

Problems with virus, rootkits, rogueware...? The community and the Panda experts will get your queries solved!
dark george

Processhacker -- why "malware"?

Post by dark george »

Panda treats processhacker as malware (and has indeed set up a cleanup on restart). Why so? I look at https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/
and it seems legitimate, source is available and all. Is there some reason for this?
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Re: Processhacker -- why "malware"?

Post by Darth Panda »

Hi dark george,

The application is detected as a hacking tool, everything seems to indicate that despite being a legal application, it is being detected because it can be used for malicious purposes.

I will confirm it with our virus lab and we will give you an answer.
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Hi dark george

Our virus lab confirms that the detection as "HackingTool/ProcHack" is correct.

The application is considered a hacking tool.

Regards.
www.pandasecurity.com
dark george

Post by dark george »

Thank you for your prompt reply, but I'm sorry to say I do consider it misguided. This is just a tool -- it is not a trojan, it is not a virus, it is not something injected by third-party evil actors. "Hacking tool"?! What does "hacking" even mean here? If I want to check out my system, monitor it, modify it, hunt for intrusions or whatever, by a tool I MYSELF installed, and for which I have source code BTW, is that "hacking my own system"?! ... and that is "bad"!?! This is paternalistic nonsense. How about Process Explorer, or the other Sysinternals tools from Microsoft, are those "hacking tools" too?... do you block them?

I would ask you to reconsider. For the time being please tell me how to whitelist processhacker so I can install it.

Panda has been protecting me against external risks, for which I am thankful; but I do not need to be protected from myself.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Hi dark george

To tell you how to exclude this tool, we need you to tell us which Panda antivirus you use exactly.

Thank you.
www.pandasecurity.com

Return to “Virus - Issues”