EICAR test virus not detected, but other viruses are detected

If you can't find the answer to your query, let the experts help you out! Add your query about Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition here!
Frederick999

EICAR test virus not detected, but other viruses are detected

Post by Frederick999 »

I am a new user of the Panda Free Antivirus, version 15.1.0. When I installed it, I had Comodo free firewall running, which I forgot about until the installation was done. Testing the Panda scan of the EICAR.COM virus test file, both the right-click on demand scan of the file and the custom scan from the Panda program window, both failed to detect the EICAR test file. This was both when I was disconnected from the internet and when I was connected. So, with Comodo shut off, and disconnected from the internet, I uninstalled and reinstalled Panda. It still won't detect the EICAR file. But I had 5 genuine virus files from previous infections which I had saved for just such a purpose. Panda detected all 5, both when disconnected and when connected to the internet. Finally I tested the EICAR file online, with virscan.org and also with virusscan.jotti.org, which scan submitted files with multiple antivirus products. The Panda program in both these websites did detect the EICAR test file. So I don't know whether my installation is working or not, and if it is why it didn't detect EICAR and if it isn't what I could have done wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running 64-bit Windows 8.1. Thanks.
Mehrdad

Re: EICAR test virus not detected, but other viruses are detected

Post by Mehrdad »

Hi there,

Update structure completely changed in new products, currently we use 2 signature
1-local signature =work offline
2-cloud signature=work online

Important tip: if EICAR test file detected for first time, you must download it again and scan it again!
Regards,

Mehrdad
TechSupport Department - Panda Security
Frederick999

Post by Frederick999 »

Mehrdad wrote:Hi there,

Update structure completely changed in new products, currently we use 2 signature
1-local signature =work offline
2-cloud signature=work online

Important tip: if EICAR test file detected for first time, you must download it again and scan it again!
Hi Mehrdad,

Thanks for your reply, but I think I did do what you are suggesting, if I understand you correctly. Offline, and with Panda shut off, I made 5 different folders and put the Eicar test file into each of the 5. I then turned Panda on, while still offline, and checked the Eicar file in the first folder. No malware was detected. I then went online and checked the Eicar file in the first folder (no detection) and then the second folder (still no detection). All these were with right-click on-demand scans of the particular Eicar files. I then repeated the scans on the 3rd and 4th folders, using the custom scan option from the main Panda window, but still nothing was detected.

But when I did similar tests on 5 different known virus files, they were detected, both when offline and online (though they were "unidentified" when offline and 4 of the 5 were identified and given names when I went online).

Perhaps someone else out there could repeat my experiment with the eicar file and see whether the free version of Panda detects it or not?

You can download the Eicar test file at http://www.info-techs.com/eicar.shtml
Download the file called eicarpw.zip. This contains the test file in an encrypted zip file, whose password is "eicar". Otherwise, you may have trouble downloading the file, if Panda or another antivirus program detects it as a virus and blocks it. Then disconnect from the internet and turn Panda off before extracting the Eicar file.

My thanks to anyone who tries this.
Frederick999

Post by Frederick999 »

I have some new information. I installed Panda free antivirus on a second Windows 8.1 machine, this time before installing the Comodo firewall. I did the Eicar test again and again it failed to detect it. I know there is nothing wrong with the Eicar file, because on the machine with Comodo, it was detected by Comodo. So it strongly appears that this particular version of Panda just does not recognize the Eicar test file.

If anybody else tries this test, I would be very interested in your results.

Return to “Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition - Issues”