[CLOSED] "Self Defense" setting?

Container for RESOLVED incidents, queries SOLVED by the experts, EXPIRED topics or those that have been CLOSED by the users.
laffin_boy

[CLOSED] "Self Defense" setting?

Post by laffin_boy »

Hi,

I just installed PCA Free to my XP machine and, unlike the ones I tried 1st, it actually works. Thank you.

But I can't write the install log that I keep on all software installs to the Panda folder because Panda won't allow it. I searched the settings for a way to disable the "self defense" feature but was unable to find it. How can I disable it?

Tom
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Re: "Self Defense" setting?

Post by VirusBuster »

I can't tell you how to disable it for security reasons, but you should be able to copy it from safe mode
Regards,

Jorge Torre
TechSupport Department - Panda Security

I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them
laffin_boy

Post by laffin_boy »

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your reply. However I have to ask you: Who's security - yours or mine?

Every other AV software that i've ever used that has "self defense" has a configuration setting to disable it for those of us who don't want or need it. For example I have real time scanning turned off and i'm only using PCA as a "on demand" scanner so the "self defense" provides me absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

I have to tell you that, even though PCA does appear to work, it comes with an "attitude" that suggests very little regard for the people who are going to use the program. For example:

-- I keep my 3rd party apps on my F: drive and the installer did put most of the files where I asked it to. But then it installed "Panda Security" to C:\Program Files\Panda Security and your unwanted and un-needed "self defense" mode makes it almost impossible for me to move these files to where *I* want them to be.

-- The PCA control center leaves me with the strong impression that Panda assumes that it's users are drooling idiots that have to be led by the hand. Because it abstracts the capabilities of the program so much - ie: "permanent protection" rather than "real-time scanning" & "USB vaccination" rather than disable USB autorun - it makes it challenging to configure the program to do what we want and need.

-- Panda's decision to accommodate those of us who only need AV protection at times by making it possible to disable un-needed modules like real-time scanning yet not allow "self-protection" to be disabled is schizophrenic. An "on-demand" scanner needs "self-protection" like a fish needs a bicycle.

-- And finally it's simply poor software design to tell the customer that he or she can't do what they want to to on their own machine - even if you feel it's unwise.

Tom Cook
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by VirusBuster »

laffin_boy wrote:Who's security - yours or mine?
Everybody's security. The product self-protection should never be disabled in order to avoid possible infections
laffin_boy wrote:For example I have real time scanning turned off and i'm only using PCA as a "on demand" scanner so the "self defense" provides me absolutely no benefit whatsoever.
I don't understand why would anybody install an antivirus without wanting the resident protection
laffin_boy wrote:-- I keep my 3rd party apps on my F: drive and the installer did put most of the files where I asked it to. But then it installed "Panda Security" to C:\Program Files\Panda Security and your unwanted and un-needed "self defense" mode makes it almost impossible for me to move these files to where *I* want them to be.
During the installation you are asked where it install, some of the files are needed to be stored in the All Users Profile
If you move these files, you will make the antivirus not working properly
Many other programs and antivirus also need some files to be stored in the All Users Profile

If you only want an on-demand scanned, then I would recommend you using Panda Cloud Cleaner instead as it isn't a resident protection but an on-demand scanner
Regards,

Jorge Torre
TechSupport Department - Panda Security

I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by VirusBuster »

Closed due to lack of response
TOPIC CLOSED
Regards,