SysTray bug in Panda Dome v18.04

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
andavari

Post by andavari »

On Windows XP SP3 if Explorer.exe for whatever reason automatically restarts itself (crash, etc.,) the Panda Dome real-time protection status icon next to the clock in the SysTray does not display again. In order to get the icon to display again I've had to log off and log on, or restart the computer.

I've tested using EICAR to make sure real-time protection actually works in this situation and I've found it can still prompt about viruses without any SysTray icon showing, and it does work as intended - but still the icon not coming back is annoying to say the least.

Edit - Forgot to mention:
Thinking it may be a bug only on my system yesterday I uninstalled Panda Dome, restarted the computer, and installed Panda Dome again however the same behavior with the SysTray icon still exists.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Re: SysTray bug in Panda Dome v18.04

Post by Darth Panda »

If you solve the problem with your explorer.exe crashing, you will not have to worry about our icon.

regards
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com
andavari

Post by andavari »

Not very helpful unfortunately! And it really has nothing to do with Explorer.exe being an issue per-say, it's a bug in Panda 18.04.

-------------

Also I did not state my Explorer.exe was crashing! I merely outlined a common scenario that could cause the Panda Dome icon to not display again.

There's also some system cleaning tools that will clean thumbnail cache which requires such a tool to close Explorer.exe and then restart it to successful clean thumbnail cache, such as BleachBit, etc., using this command:
taskkill.exe /f /IM explorer.exe
explorer.exe

The previous version of Panda at 18.03 did not have that issue whatsoever, therefore something has been changed in 18.04 to introduce the bug. Also I haven't experienced any other antivirus that I've ever tried that won't re-load its own SysTray icon after Explorer.exe is restarted for whatever reason be that a crash or something that a cleaning tool has to do, or even something that Windows will very rarely do itself on occasions which isn't necessarily crash related.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Again. It is not explorer.exe who launches the icon. prolbably you have realised there are lost of icons not restarting after you restar the explorer.exe.
If you stop the explorer.exe restarting it will not restart the icon. But the antivirus is still working.
So, it is not a bug, but standard product behaviour.

But thanks for your info, and efforts to make Panda a better product.

regards
www.pandasecurity.com
andavari

Post by andavari »

We will agree to disagree then because I state it is a bug, and you state it is not a bug.

To re-hash this the bug behavior I've submitted is in Panda 18.04 and never existed in any previous of Panda, and I've been using Panda for many years be that in the various name changed versions:
* Panda Cloud Antivirus
* Panda Free Antivirus
* Panda Protection

Convincing you that it is indeed a bug to gain the developers attention to at least investigate is obviously not going to get anywhere whatsoever on the forum here - therefore if you wish to do so this topic can be closed/locked as unresolved.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

The issue cannot tbe closed as unresolved, as the word came from developers.
We do show the icon at startup.
the icon on the taskbar is not what makes the AV work. And does not start with explorer.
When explorer crashes and restarts itself it does not run all software programmed to run at startup, it only runs what explorer thinks are the most important programs for the OS. And looks like the panda icon is not one of the chosen ones.
We cannot decide what programs does explorer decide to be run when explorer is restarted. And we would like our to be one of them.
But what really matters to us is wether the Av is working after and during a crash or not , and that would be a bug, not the panda icon.

regards,
www.pandasecurity.com
K-mik@Z

Post by K-mik@Z »

Hello,

A small patch offers for the systray problem.

In the batch, I also have DFX, which has the same problem.

It detects if the program is installed (if exist) and does the action on.

You can integrate other programs that have the same problem.

The first part of the code is for administrator rights.

RefreshSystrayIcons.bat

Code: Select all

@echo off
::  https://superuser.com/questions/1021497/check-if-a-process-is-running-or-not-continually-and-start-multiple-programs-if#answer-1021503
::
:: BatchGotAdmin ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::https://gist.github.com/lances101/44118a5ab320542f9591c5fa5b74ae02#file-gotadmin-bat
title Get Admin rights for Batch
cls
if exist "%temp%\~getadmin.vbs" del /F /Q /S "%temp%\~getadmin.vbs" >NUL 2>&1
:: REM  --> Check for permissions
if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" EQU "amd64" (
	>NUL 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\config\system"
	) else (
		>NUL 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"
		)
:: REM  --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
if '%ERRORLEVEL%' NEQ '0' (
	GOTO :UACPrompt
	) else (
		GOTO :gotAdmin
		)
:UACPrompt
	:: REM  --> Attribution privileges
	echo Set UAC = CreateObject("Shell.Application") > "%temp%\~getadmin.vbs"
	set params = %*:"="
	echo UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/c %~s0 %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\~getadmin.vbs"
	cscript //nologo "%temp%\~getadmin.vbs" >NUL
	del /F /Q /S "%temp%\~getadmin.vbs" >NUL 2>&1
	exit /b
:gotAdmin
	:: REM  --> Privileges admin OK
	::Positionnement
	pushd "%CD%"
	cd /d "%~dp0"
::ENTER YOUR CODE BELOW ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
setlocal EnableExtensions EnableDelayedExpansion
::author=K-mik@Z
title Refresh systray icons
cls
:: ( P1 is for process 1, P2 is for process 2 ...etc )
::PANDA SECURITY
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:P1
set "SOFTDIR=%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Panda Security\Panda Security Protection"
set "MyProcess=PSUAMain.exe"
set "params=/LaunchSysTray"
::Test if installed
if exist "%SOFTDIR%" ( GOTO :checkP1 ) else ( GOTO :P2 )
	:checkP1
	::Test if process running or not
		tasklist | findstr /i "%MyProcess%"
		if ERRORLEVEL 1 (
			GOTO :P1NotRun
			) else (
				taskkill /fi "USERNAME eq %USERNAME%" /im %MyProcess% >NUL
				)
		GOTO :checkP1
	:P1NotRun
	::Restart "PANDA DOME" systray icon ( with /LaunchSysTray "params")
		start "" "%SOFTDIR%\%MyProcess%" %params% >NUL
::DFX
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:P2
set "SOFTDIR=%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\DFX"
set "MyProcess=dfx.exe"
::here, params is nul
set "params="
::Test if installed
if exist "%SOFTDIR%" ( GOTO :checkP2 ) else ( GOTO :End )
	:checkP2
	::Test if process running or not
		set "MyProcess=dfx.exe"
		tasklist | findstr /i "%MyProcess%"
		if ERRORLEVEL 1 (
			GOTO :P2NotRun
			) else (
				taskkill /fi "USERNAME eq %USERNAME%" /im %MyProcess% >NUL
				)
		GOTO :checkP2
	:P2NotRun
	::Restart "DFX" systray icon
		start "" "%SOFTDIR%\%MyProcess%" %params% >NUL
:End
echo on
exit

To simplify its use, you can put the batch in the right-click menu on the desktop as follows:

RefreshSystrayIcons.reg

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\ReIC_KmZ]
"MUIVerb"="Refresh Icons Cache"
"Position"="bottom"
"Icon"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\ReIC_KmZ\command]
@="C:\\TheDirYouHaveTheBatch\\RefreshSystrayIcons.bat"

Replace TheDirYouHaveTheBatch by the desired path, and add the path of a custom icon if you wish
not to mention doubling the "\" like this \\
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

try repairing your explorer.exe that would be the best to act rather than trying to fix the panda icon, but in any case that issue should be solved on latest version
www.pandasecurity.com
andavari

Post by andavari »

This annoying bug is still ever present in Panda Dome v18.07 ("Panda Free Antivirus").

Another behaviour it has which to me indicates it is indeed a bug (even though I've previously been officially told it isn't):
1. Log Off from Windows XP
2. Log On, and the Panda SysTray icon never reappears.

The only solution is to reboot Windows XP.

I know, I know from reading another comment "upgrade to an OS from the 21st century" well I've did that I have a daily Win10 system -- but the good ole XP system keeps on ticking and XP is 10 trillion times better than Win10.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

windows xp is a really big, nonupdated, oldish version for an operating system. We are the only product still covering this good oldXP, as no other company supports it anymore.

WE still go forward whereas XP is sitting in the past century, waiting to disappear.

My suggestion is still the same: update your system, as your data will be more secure on a OS which is not a gruyere cheese, security wise.

AS for your issue, we are not able to reproduce it on our systems.

try to repair de fs, or check for surface errors on your HDD
www.pandasecurity.com

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”