Panda deleted a file without confirmation?! How can I recover it?

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
Darthagnon

Panda deleted a file without confirmation?! How can I recover it?

Post by Darthagnon »

Panda all of a sudden notified me that one of my personal files, a VBS script I made as a kid, was a virus, and deleted that precious file, without any confirmation or moving it to quarantine, or anything. This is despite me having the option "Ask before neutralizing a virus" enabled.

My questions are:

1) What is the point of the option "ask before neutralizing" if it doesn't ask? Why didn't it move the script to quarantine?

2) How do I recover my file? I don't currently have a backup, as I am in the middle of migrating computers.

I eagerly await your response. I was happy with Panda Antivirus, until it did this, which is the very reason I ditched Bitdefender.

Please help me.

Thank you

Darth Agnon
Darthagnon

Re: Panda deleted a file without confirmation?! How can I recover it?

Post by Darthagnon »

I have disabled Panda Antivirus. I am currently too scared to re-enable it, for fear it will delete more of my files.

Unless there's a solution to this problem, and I can prevent Panda from deleting files without asking me first, I will be uninstalling it and seeking alternatives.

One of the main reasons I ditched Bitdefender was that it was too ready to delete my files without saying anything, or letting me stop it. I had hoped Panda would be different, especially when I saw the "ask before neutralizing a virus" setting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Darthagnon

Post by Darthagnon »

I have managed to recover my file from my backup drive using Piriform Recuva; I have also excluded My Documents, My Downloads and a few other folders from Panda scanning, to avoid this happening again. However, I am still wondering - why didn't Panda confirm that I wanted the file to be deleted? I shouldn't have to exclude all the folders I work with from day to day from my antivirus for it to be usable. I am still wondering how I would go about recovering the file normally, without using Recuva and looking through deleted files? Panda just said it was deleted; didn't move it to the quarantine or anything. How could I have recovered it?
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

If we take the file as a virus, we delete it.
We only send it quarentine when is an unknown file.

You always should have the unknown files on a folder excluded from analysis, if you develop software, as new software depending on the actions taken on the computer will be declared either as malware or unknown software.
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com
magua

Post by magua »

If you haven't backup them before.MobiKin Doctor for Android could be a great choice to recover deleted files without backup.It can scan the trash bin and extract the files.
Cassie W

Post by Cassie W »

I have not used Panda before, but used other similar antivirus tools and encountered this kind of case. Actually, it is easy to recover antivirus deleted files as long as using a recovery tool. Then, I chose MiniTool power data recovery, suggestion from my colleague,working for me well.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

If yo are unsure on what a file is, yoy can always have a folder excluded from the analysis at your own risk.
www.pandasecurity.com
xanesag

Post by xanesag »

Try with a third-party data recovery program such as Bitwarsoft and scan your drive to check whether you can find the files you want. Please do remember don't use again your before starting the data recovery scan. Good Luck!
Uzivatel919

Post by Uzivatel919 »

Similar experience here. Panda deleted some .exe from many places of the same project. It is unfortunate that it does no provides with hint to be aware of possible project data deletions. 👎🏻

Beside that this bear put on. It also deletes Packard_Bell_Easynote_Te11hc_Service_Manual.iso, which is normal manual file, from downloads folder, file history, etc.

If it deletes without prompt and without previous sufficient information about such behavior, it should also deletes to recycle bin. Or simply do not do that or put it into the quarantine. 👎🏻

I cannot tell I am not shocked. I use Panda AV for at least 5 year and from today on I am not sure if I will continue to it. :roll: :?:

Lets recycle it. :shock:
Last edited by Uzivatel919 on Sun, 01 Aug 2021, 00:30, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Post by Darth Panda »

Hi Uzivatel919,

Can you please attach the antivirus report to see what it has detected and where?
Regards,
www.pandasecurity.com

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”