Panda was preventing my computer from establishing a valid IP address

Queries regarding Panda free antivirus products will be managed, to the extent possible, by the forum community.
Dracos

Panda was preventing my computer from establishing a valid IP address

Post by Dracos »

...and now it's been uninstalled.

I'm not sure if it was an older version of Panda that just wasn't updating to the most recent version, or what was the actual problem. But at some point, things began to go wrong, with no obvious reason.
I had three protective services I used to keep my computer virus free: Panda Free, Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. For the longest time, they played together well, and I had no issues. Just recently though, I found that Malwarebytes began reporting that the full protection was being disabled regularly. The message would flash on and off constantly, as Malwarebytes would automatically attempt to restore protection. A while later, I began to notice that Spybot's Live Protection Feature would start, then drag off into infinity rather than completing any scans. This was worrying enough, but then Panda ALSO began disabling itself, and was unable to be turned back on again.

I had heard there is a virus going around that gets into your computer through the wifi and that it then worked it's way up through your protections until it disabled your internet connection, so when that also began happening, I was convinced I had contracted it. I ran through all kinds of things trying to reset the router so it would work, all in vain, until I finally just decided to run a system restore. I had recently downloaded the latest Spybot update, and so was thinking that might have been the source of the trouble. The restore worked, and everything seemed to be fine, so I grew increasingly sure that was the problem and just didn't get the new update and contacted Spybot to see if they had any answers.

But then it started up again. Malware was being constantly interrupted. Panda wouldn't remain active. live protection spammed any action I took and never finished. Last night (8-14-18), Windows had a security update, and when I woke up and tried to use the computer, there it was again; my wireless was blocked due to an invalid IP address that couldn't be fixed. Again I tried to figure it out, and again nothing worked, so I backed up what files I could and decided to do a complete system reboot to factory settings. I figured this was the only option I had left to get rid of whatever it was that was causing the problem. In preparation for this, I beegan shutting off all antivirus programs, and since Panda hadn't been working and was about to be deleted anyway, I figured I'd uninstall it. It had taken several spots in the Windows Defender page as a firewall and other options for security, yet none of those worked or even existed in the free version; I was curious as to what would happen. Maybe Windows Defender would start working again.

Imagine my surprise when, half way through the uninstall process, my wifi suddenly unlocked. ...Why would removing Panda unblock my wifi? After it was uninstalled completely, I notice Spybot and Malware are working fine again as well. What the heck?!

I can only assume Panda isn't designed (or was altered in an update) to 'not play well with others'. It HAD been working nicely with both programs in the past, but then all this happened. It feels faintly like an attempt to get people to be more exclusive in their antivirus protection choices; I've seen similar in the past with both Malware and Spybot, who each would identify the other as a virus or malware, then quarantine each other. They got over themselves though, and now work independently of each other, but together to protect my system. I'vee never seen anything like one of them refusing to let me use my wifi before though.

For the time being, I'm going to let Panda go through their various iterations of self and decide on whether or not they'll return to working alongside other protection software. In the meantime, I have two others and Windows Defender to cover me, I guess.
Darth Panda
Official moderator
Official moderator

Re: Panda was preventing my computer from establishing a valid IP address

Post by Darth Panda »

It is not recommended to have more than one antivirus on your computer. When more installed, functioning is random and not supported.

regards
Technical support – Panda Security
www.pandasecurity.com

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Issues”