[SOLVED] Possible scam alert

Container for RESOLVED incidents, queries SOLVED by the experts, EXPIRED topics or those that have been CLOSED by the users.
LarryB1607

[SOLVED] Possible scam alert

Post by LarryB1607 »

Not too sure if this is a scam or not, but I am treating it as such. For the last several days I have been receiving phone calls form people that appear to be from the Houston, TX area.

I spoke with one of them a couple days ago and the caller told me that he was from Panda Antivirus and said that they were getting transmissions from my PC that indicated a problem with the software.

I was very suspicious , but let him advise me. First we went into "event viewer" to see if there were nay error messages. I believe that this may have been a scare tactic, there was not any. He then told me to go to a website. I checked it out before going there and found out that it was a site which provided remote access software. I told the person calling that I was not going to allow them access to my PC and hung up.

I did open my copy of Panda Free AV 18.0 and was asked to provide my password. I did so and was given the message that my PC was protected and I have received no warnings from Windows 7. I continue to receive these calls, several times a day and now they are calling with a slightly different number than the one I blocked.

I am going to reinstall the product just as a precaution, but it seems that they could have emailed me with this issue instead of calling several times a day for 4 days now.
VirusBuster
Official moderator
Official moderator

Re: Possible scam alert

Post by VirusBuster »

It looks like you have been the subject of a phishing or scam call from individuals pretending to be members of the Panda Security support team. We can assure you that Panda Security has no relation whatsoever in regards to this matter.

Therefore, we strongly recommend you follow the instructions below in order to report this situation to the competent authorities, so they can tackle the issue as soon as possible.

National Do Not Call List
Avoid phone scams by registering your home and cell phone numbers with the National Do Not Call Registry or by calling 1-888-382-1222. This national registry was created to offer consumers a choice regarding telemarketing calls. It won't stop all unsolicited calls—but will help stop most.

Report Telephone Fraud
If you believe you have been a victim of a telephone scam or telemarketing fraud, you can file an online complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), or by phone at 1-877-382-4357.
Regards,

Jorge Torre
TechSupport Department - Panda Security

I don't reply to private messages unless I have previously requested them
LarryB1607

Re: Possible scam alert

Post by LarryB1607 »

Thanks for the reply and confirmation that it was not you. I have done as you suggested and contacted the FTC.

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Archive Issues”