[CLOSED] MS .NET Framework 4.0 required?

Container for RESOLVED incidents, queries SOLVED by the experts, EXPIRED topics or those that have been CLOSED by the users.
greyowl

[CLOSED] MS .NET Framework 4.0 required?

Post by greyowl »

In order to use Panda Free with XP, do you need MS .NET Framework 4.0 on the computer?

Also, where can I get the Panda Free offline installer?

How much space does Panda Free take on a computer if running XP?
andavari

Re: MS .NET Framework 4.0 required?

Post by andavari »

It is required!

It sends you to this Panda Security URL which will download the correct version for Windows XP systems:

Code: Select all

http://www.pandasecurity.com/L2qYiuVeTS
You need to install .Net Framework first, then update it via Windows Updates or Automatic Update because it will need several security patches applied.

Mucking around with the .Net Framework requirement took about 45-60 minutes for me, that's from first installing it and then having Automatic Updates install all the security patches for it.

Edit: More Info:
The link will download the web installer for .Net Framework version 4. The web installer will download the setup file which is just under 40 MB. Once fully installed and working .Net Framework will use up about 300 MB of hard disk space.
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

Thank you so much for the thorough information.

I have a small HD so I'm reluctant to fill it up with MS stuff.
Probably just move on to Tencent or Qihoo.
andavari

Post by andavari »

greyowl wrote:Probably just move on to Tencent or Qihoo.
Qihoo 360 Total Security has allot of false positives and lists security threats while not giving one ounce of information, it also requires much more hard disk space than Panda. Qihoo state 1GB but that info is most likely outdated because it needed allot more when I tested it, and my test was very brief (maybe 3 hours) before I quickly restored my drive C: disk image that had Panda Protection 18.01 installed.
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

Thanks for the information on Qihoo.

I am trying Tencent now. It works fine and does not slow the computer or web. But, it uses 250 mb more space and 250mb more RAM than Avast.

I would really like to try Panda, but hate to load up my small HD with .NET. Does anyone know how much space .NET 4 uses on the computer and whether it can be easily removed?
andavari

Post by andavari »

Like I stated in my first reply .Net Framework 4 takes about 300 MB of hard disk space - that's an estimate of what I noticed in My Computer when looking at the available drive C:\ disk space after installing it and all security updates for it.

.Net Framework uninstalls are not supported by Microsoft officially
Edit: (maybe they used to not be but I see the uninstaller for it in Add/Remove Programs so maybe I'm wrong). Well they don't support our XP systems anyways but that's another topic. However there is a freeware tool called .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx) which will completely remove a particular version of it or all versions of it off the system and it works very well. I had to use that cleanup tool maybe 3-4 years ago when .Net Framework was so corrupted on my system it wouldn't install security patches.

The best way in my opinion to undo something (especially something that won't uninstall by normal means such as .Net Framework) is to make a disk image of your system using a disk image software and there's many freeware variety available - I personally like Macrium Reflect Free (https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree) because it's never once failed me. Make a disk image before installing something very system changing. If you have an external USB hard disk with enough free space it's very easy to fully undo any software installation or malware attack by restoring from the image and the changes that took place will be like they never happened.
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

Thanks andavari,
This info on .NET is real helpful.
BTW, did you have a lower version of .NET on your computer before you installed version 4? The reason I ask is because I thought that the .NET would use much more space than 300mb.
andavari

Post by andavari »

Before installing Panda Protection 18.01 these are the only .NET Framework I had, according to the folder for it located at "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework":

* v1.0.3705
* v1.1.4322
* v2.0.50727
* v3.0
* v3.5

Now with v4 installed with the previous versions that Windows folder I listed above is at 500 MB.

Usually I won't install software that requires a newer version, however a new version of Panda was enticing enough for me to bite the bullet.
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

OK-Thanks for the clarification.
I understand the enticement with Panda, but that's a lot to add to my 20 GB HD.
How much space does Panda use?
Is there an offline installer for Panda?
Thanks
andavari

Post by andavari »

The amount of disk space that Panda alone needs I'm not exactly sure, although it's smaller than any other antivirus I've ever used that traditionally relies upon allot of signature files, signature files in other av's take up a ton of space which isn't an issue with Panda.

I got the full offline installer at Softpedia (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/ ... irus.shtml) since I couldn't find it anywhere on the Panda Security website (in fact the supposed download page for Panda's free antivirus I found via a search engine doesn't even list it as available the page is mostly blank). It's also available on FileHippo (http://filehippo.com/download_panda_free_antivirus) - although with FileHippo you have to be careful and pay close attention because if you don't use an adblocker in your browser you could download the wrong thing with an ad looking like the download when it isn't.

Return to “Panda Free Antivirus - Archive Issues”