Windows XP and Windows 7 User Profile Path

See what other community members have asked about the product or write here your own queries. The experts will help you out!
leiz

Windows XP and Windows 7 User Profile Path

Post by leiz »

Hallo,

I use Panda Cloud System Management. I need to monitor file size, and send email alert if this file exeed file size limit. This file located at C:\Users\[User Name]\FolderA\FolderB\MyFile.xxx for win 7 and C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\FolderA\FolderB\MyFile.xxx for Win XP

How do i type this path in PCSM Add Monitor wizard without mention username one by one? I tried C:\Users\* , %UserProfile%\ but the file size not return any result, it's like PCSM can't find the file path

Thank You
Mehrdad

Re: Windows XP and Windows 7 User Profile Path

Post by Mehrdad »

Hi there,
Naturally you must use Environment variable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable

You are able to set your own variables within your script as normal, as well as referring to any Windows environment variables that are defined on your devices (such as %username%, or %logonserver%).

basically, creates Windows environment variables whenever a component executes which are set to the names and values of your input variables. You can then call these in your scripts just like you would do a "normal" environment variable (such as %computername%).
Regards,

Mehrdad
TechSupport Department - Panda Security
leiz

Post by leiz »

myazdi wrote:Hi there,

You are able to set your own variables within your script as normal, as well as referring to any Windows environment variables that are defined on your devices (such as %username%, or %logonserver%).

basically, creates Windows environment variables whenever a component executes which are set to the names and values of your input variables. You can then call these in your scripts just like you would do a "normal" environment variable (such as %computername%).
Thanks for your answer. I got the clue but still not clear...can you give example how to use of environment variable?

Refer to wiki page. %USERPROFILE% is one of true environment variable. So if I type path %userprofile%\AppData\Local\FolderA\FolderB\MyFile.xxx it will same as C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\FolderA\FolderB\MyFile.xxx is that correct?
leiz

Post by leiz »

Sorry...maybe my first post not so clear.

I'm not use any custom script but use built in File/Folder Size monitor in PCSM. And I don't know what to type in Full path to file/folder field because my file located at userprofile folder and there are so many PC i want to monitor with different username
06-01-2015 22-45-01.jpg
06-01-2015 22-45-01.jpg (47.77 KiB) Viewed 19330 times
Mehrdad

Post by Mehrdad »

leiz wrote:
myazdi wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for your answer. I got the clue but still not clear...can you give example how to use of environment variable?

Refer to wiki page. %USERPROFILE% is one of true environment variable. So if I type path %userprofile%\AppData\Local\FolderA\FolderB\MyFile.xxx it will same as C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\FolderA\FolderB\MyFile.xxx is that correct?

Yes, It's correct if you want to work on specific file that locate on different locations you must use it, and your example is correct !
Last edited by Mehrdad on Wed, 07 Jan 2015, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Mehrdad
Mehrdad

Post by Mehrdad »

leiz wrote:Sorry...maybe my first post not so clear.

I'm not use any custom script but use built in File/Folder Size monitor in PCSM. And I don't know what to type in Full path to file/folder field because my file located at userprofile folder and there are so many PC i want to monitor with different username
06-01-2015 22-45-01.jpg

I mean you can set custom Environment variable for example if you want to use %Username% instead of %USERPROFILE%
Regards,

Mehrdad
leiz

Post by leiz »

myazdi wrote:
leiz wrote:Sorry...maybe my first post not so clear.

06-01-2015 22-45-01.jpg

I mean you can set custom Environment variable for example if you want to use %Username% instead of %USERPROFILE%
how to set this custom environment?

i tried environment variable on my file path but still not working. I type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\FolderA\FolderB\MyFile.xxx but still PCSM File Size monitor didn't return any result or send alert via email
tongclub62

Post by tongclub62 »

i'm thinking window 7sp1 not balance. :?
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

Hi leiz,

The PCSM agent runs as the local system account, so when you try to monitor %USERPROFILE% it will return the user profile directory for the SYSTEM user on the machine, which is unlikely to be the result you would need.

It is possible to monitor Free disk space as a whole if this is helpful, however without adding the individual user profile path it is not possible to monitor all the locations at once without writing a complete custom file monitor.

Please see bellow with some information on creating a custom Monitor, in this case it is an example of how to write a monitor to check if a file exists.

http://www.centrastage.com/blog/creatin ... -monitors/

Kind regards,

FireFox
Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it is too dark to read
viveksharma

Post by viveksharma »

can we use panda security window 10 please seggest me.and also new user.

regards
vivek sharma

Return to “SM - Issues”